Are you someone who is shopping for new pillows? If so, you might have come across the term ‘gel pillow’ a lot. It might sound strange to you. Is it a pillow that is completely out of gel? Or is it similar to a waterbed but instead of water the pillow has gel in it?
When we first heard the term ‘gel pillow’ these were all of the thoughts running through our minds. So you are not alone if you are thinking the same thing.
When it comes to updating things in our home we are suddenly hit with all of the latest new styles or upgrades for those items.
Well, this is the same with a gel pillow. It is a different type of pillow, that is an alternative option for the regular pillows you might sleep on now.
So if you want to find out more about this mysterious gel pillow, you have come to the right place. We are going to walk you through exactly what a gel pillow is and the benefits of using a gel pillow.
What Is A Gel Pillow?
A gel pillow is also known as a cooling pillow. This might give you a clearer picture of what a gel pillow is. To help you out, I can assure you it is not a pillow made completely out of gel. Instead, they are usually a memory foam pillow that has been infused with gel.
Some gel pillows may be made with synthetic fibers infused with gel. You can also get gel pillows that are pillows that have layers of gel in them, rather than the gel being infused in the material.
Gel pillows are made for those of you who get too warm during the night. They are designed to cool you down when you are sleeping.
Memory foam pillows are known for trapping heat and making people too warm. Well, with the addition of the gel, you can now have a pillow made of memory foam that cools you down when you are sleeping.
So essentially a gel pillow is a pillow with gel layers or the gel infused in it, that has been designed to keep you cool when sleeping.
The Benefits Of Using A Gel Pillow
If you are looking at getting a gel pillow, there are many reasons why you should consider buying one. These include:
- The Cooling Effect – When you sleep on a gel pillow, your body temperature will drop because of the gel. This means that you will feel cooler while you sleep. Because of this, you will wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on another day.
- No More Hot Spots – When you sleep on your regular pillow, you will often wake up with hot spots. This is because some areas of your head or neck are warmer than other parts. With a gel pillow, you won’t experience any hot spots.
- Better Sleep Quality – Studies show that people who use gel pillows tend to have better sleep quality. This is because the gel helps to reduce pressure points and cramps.
- Easy Maintenance – Gels are easy to clean. All you need to do is wipe off the gel with a damp cloth. If you spill something on your gel pillow, just wipe it away and let it dry. You don’t have to worry about mold growing on it.
- Durable – Gels are durable. They last longer than most other types of materials used in pillows. So if you buy a gel pillow, you know that you can count on it lasting long.
- Affordable – While gel pillows are expensive compared to regular pillows, they are still affordable. You can easily spend less than $100 on a good gel pillow.
- Good For Your Health – There are health benefits associated with using a gel pillow. Most notably, gel pillows are great for relieving headaches. Since the gel helps to relieve pressure points, it can help to ease tension and pain. It is also said to improve blood circulation, which can help to prevent migraines.
Downside Of Using A Gel Pillow
There are some downsides associated with using a gel cushion. Here are some of these downsides:
- Neck Pain – Whilst gel pillows can help with some body aches, some people might find that they start having neck pain when sleeping on a gel pillow. This is largely to do with the pillow not supporting the sleeping position you sleep in. For example, if you sleep on your stomach you need a softer and thinner pillow. Since gel pillows are firmer, this may lead to you experiencing neck pain.
- Soreness – Some people report soreness after sleeping on a gel pillow for a few days, especially back soreness or pain. Again there could be a number of reasons for this, but it is likely due to the fact that this sort of pillow does not support your sleeping position.
- Allergies – For those of you who have intense allergies, some gel pillows may make these worse. This is due to the fact that some gel pillows have small holes in them that can trap dust and dirt.
It is worth noting that good-quality gel pillows have no risks or disadvantages. In fact, most of these downsides are applicable to every type of pillow. When it comes to aches and pains you experience from new pillows, it is usually because it is the wrong type of pillow for you, not a reflection on the quality of the pillow.
So a gel pillow is a pillow that either has gel infused in it or is made with layers of gel. Gel pillows are designed so people are able to stay cool when sleeping.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to get rid of hotspots, then a gel pillow may be what you want. They are perfect for those who want to stay cool when sleeping. Gel pillows are comfortable and can improve your sleep quality.
We hope we’ve helped to answer your question! Please share this article with others who it might help. Thank you for reading!